While a night of hard drinking can be fun once in a while, the hangover is the worst part. Luckily, you can cure, treat, and prevent symptoms of many problems with CBD. Hangover cures like greasy food or a cold shower might not give you the results you want, but CBD is a worthwhile option to consider.
The Other Path offers valuable information on fighting a hangover with CBD.
What Is a Hangover?
A hangover is a combination of symptoms resulting from excessive alcohol consumption. Symptoms of a hangover include:
- Nausea and vertigo
- Light and sound sensitivity
Your symptoms may vary depending on how much and what you drank. While you might not always get a hangover from drinking, it can happen more frequently with dark spirits due to toxic congeners resulting from fermentation. Sulfites in wine can also affect your hangover.
Causes of Hangovers
Unfortunately, there’s no way to determine whether or not you’ll have a hangover the next day. Typically, the more you drink, the worse your hangover will be. Causes of hangovers can range from dehydration to anxiety, but most hangovers include the following:
- Dehydration: Alcohol dehydrates you as your kidneys increase filtration to expel toxins. It also prevents them from retaining fluid by suppressing chemicals in the brain that tell them to conserve liquid.
- Acetaldehyde: As your body breaks down alcohol, your liver produces acetaldehyde, a dangerous combination of acetone and formaldehyde. While acetaldehyde wreaks havoc on your body, your liver must work overtime to filter toxins, leading to a hangover.
- Inflammation: Alcohol triggers your immune system, often resulting in inflammation. A study on ethanol’s effects on rats hinted that the immune system treats alcohol like a threat, releasing more cytokines to fight toxins, also increasing inflammation.
- Stomach irritation: Alcohol increases stomach acidity and can cause inflammation, contributing to nausea and stomach pain many experience during a hangover.
- Withdrawals: Whether you have a small drink or several glasses, your brain must adjust to the alcohol intake. This adjustment can result in withdrawals that get worse with increased consumption.
Alcohol and Endocannabinoids
Your Endocannabinoid System signals cells to perform bodily functions. When alcohol disrupts this system long-term, you can experience debilitating adverse effects. It also affects short-term endocannabinoid levels in parts of the brain directly linked to addiction.
CBD also interacts with the body’s Endocannabinoid System but has positive effects. CBD binds to endocannabinoid receptors, helping your body maintain homeostasis. Taking it to relieve the impact of a hangover can be effective.
How Does CBD Help Hangovers?
While there is little research on how CBD helps hangovers, understanding CBD’s impact on bodily functions will help you know what to expect. CBD may combat nausea, inflammation, and fatigue and improve your mood after suffering from the aftermath of excessive drinking. CBD isn’t a confirmed hangover cure – try some of the products from The Other Path to see if it helps you.
Reduces Brain Fog and Other Mental Effects
Dehydration and inflammation lead to a nasty headache after a night of drinking. Thanks to CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties, you can relieve muscle tension and inflammation in your head and alleviate your headache.
Brain fog is another frustrating aspect of a hangover, especially if you can’t divert from your typical weekday routine. Excessive alcohol consumption increases long-term impairment, but a CBD strain ideal for focus can improve up to 50% of mental clarity.
A night of drinking leaves you fatigued and out of balance. Taking CBD may help your body recover faster and regain energy. After your body has worked hard to release toxins from alcohol, CBD enables you to return to homeostasis and replenish necessary nutrients.
While CBD is known for causing dry mouth, this is a blessing in disguise. These effects will encourage you to replenish liquids, helping you further reduce fatigue and manage dehydration. Additionally, taking CBD before you go to sleep may help you sleep longer and prevent sluggishness the following day.
Supports Immune System Restoration
Inflammation is another problem directly linked to alcohol. Toxins in alcohol trigger your body’s immune response, resulting in inflammation of the stomach, liver, and the rest of your body. A high dose of CBD may decrease inflammation to relieve headaches and other pain from overconsumption.
Your body is in poor condition during a hangover. CBD works as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory solution by binding to critical receptors in the Endocannabinoid System. It can help eliminate acetaldehyde from the body and help you replenish electrolytes faster.
Because CBD has no intoxicating effects, you can get your health back in top shape without feeling inebriated. While it won’t prevent any disease, it can mitigate symptoms of a poor immune system.
Prevents Anxiety and Depression
The last thing you want is to wake up with a hangover. On top of this, your cortisol levels increase when drinking and while withdrawing from alcohol. Cortisol is a stress hormone that activates your fight or flight response and may lead to heightened anxiety.
CBD is known to have incredible mental benefits. The relaxing effects of CBD may reduce cortisol levels and relieve post-drinking anxiety and stress.
CBD also interacts with serotonin receptors to attain a baseline for mood-altering chemicals in the brain, potentially relieving depression. This slows down your cortisol production, so you stay relaxed and maintain a good mood.
As your body relaxes and gets closer to maintaining a proper baseline, CBD’s impact on muscle tension and inflammation help combat nausea and vertigo. Antiemetic effects quell the urge to vomit. Cannabinoids’ relaxing qualities may also increase hunger and relieve stomach pain.
It’s no secret that a top remedy for people with nausea is CBD. Hangover side effects such as nausea may improve with treatment, but ensuring the proper dosage is crucial. If you’re already experiencing severe nausea and have an empty stomach, taking CBD might not be the right choice until after you’ve eaten.
CBD Products for Hangovers
Finding the right CBD product can significantly impact how you recover. There are various ways to consume CBD, including:
- CBD oil and tinctures: Sublingual consumption is a quick way to feel CBD’s results. To consume, you hold the CBD oil under your tongue. The CBD absorbs into your bloodstream through veins and arteries in the mouth.
- Edibles and CBD capsules: Edibles such as CBD-infused candy and CBD gel capsules are a popular way to consume. It may take many CBD capsules until you feel the effects, while edibles come in much stronger levels.
- Topical CBD: Absorbing CBD through your skin is a convenient way to get relief from hangover headaches and bodily inflammation. Topicals are available in lotions, creams, and even patches.
- CBD vapes and flower: Vaping or dabbing CBD concentrates can help you feel relief quickly. You can choose from different strains to get the specific effects you desire. Smoking hemp flower is equally as effective at helping you relax and recover.
Determining CBD Dosages for Hangover Relief
CBD dosages for hangovers will vary depending on the person. Your genetics will determine how sensitive you are to CBD. The following factors will help you get the correct dose.
- Bioavailability: One form of CBD may be more easily absorbable than another, indicating a higher bioavailability. For example, the bioavailability of capsules will be significantly lower compared to concentrates, meaning you’ll need a higher dose of CBD to feel the effects.
- Your BMI: CBD dosing works similarly to alcohol. The more you weigh, the more CBD you will likely need.
- Lasting effects: Severe hangovers will need more CBD to last long enough for your body to return to its baseline.
It takes time for CBD to build up in your system. If hangover symptoms don’t improve, you may need a higher dose or to wait for it to activate. Starting with a small dose will prevent you from getting nauseous or taking too high an amount.
Consider The Other Path for Your Hangover Treatment
All in all, CBD can be a valuable remedy for hangovers if you use it properly. Do you enjoy drinking but not the annoying aftermath? The Other Path is a leader in providing top-quality CBD products for treating various ailments.
Since 2006, we’ve dedicated our time to educating customers on the benefits of CBD. Our knowledgeable team members are experts on everything CBD and cannabis-related. We offer products from top CBD brands and can help you pick the best product for your needs.
Whether you’re looking for a hangover cure or something to ease pain or anxiety, we are ready to serve you. We make purchasing CBD products easy and ship throughout the US. Consider The Other Path the next time you are buying CBD.
Compared to the healing potential of CBD, hangover cures are no match. Don’t hesitate to contact us for more information on CBD and its healing power. Otherwise, check out our blog for more on the benefits of CBD.